About Me

Wellington, CO
I'm a regular guy that has a weakness for collecting cars. It's not my fault that they follow me home.

Monday, May 16, 2005

Back and sidetracked...

Man, time flies between updates! Anyways, the knee has been doing great and I've had a little time to get a few things accomplished. Reassembled my front springs using new spring clamps and got the new eye bushings driven in. Small problem when trying to put the springs on the mounts though: the bushings need reamed! Pins are 5/8" (.625) and the bushings are .600. Guess I need to pick up a reamer and get those springs on then bolt up the front suspension.

Now for my side project:

I've got a 69 International Scout that I've had for a while now. The engine that was in there ran pretty low oil pressure (0 psi at hot idle, OUCH!) and had some other issues as well. While perusing the car ads a couple weeks ago I found a recently rebuilt IH 304 for sale down in Portland. New cam, new bearings, new gaskets. Owner swapped it out for a Dodge 400. Gave him a call and drove down to pick it up for the princely sum of $150. Pulled the old crap motor out on Friday:


..And got the new motor in place yesterday. Here's a pic:

Thanks to Chris "Pud" Dupont for coming over to help me get things lined up. We had a small alignment issue where we couldn't get the motor mount bolts to drop in the holes on the frame. After much head scratching and a little cursing I gave up for the night. This morning I went out to the shop and decided to loosen the engine to bellhousing bolts in an attempt to gain a little wiggle room. Got it all loosened up and gave the engine a couple tugs and it fell in the holes with a resounding pop, hooray!

So now it's in and wired up. A few loose ends to wrap up and we can fire it off, can't wait. Sorry for straying off the Ford path for a short time, but I'm easily sidetracked. I figure as long as I'm working on one of my cars it's all good, right?

I will be getting back to the truck ASAP, but some times you have to take advantage of opportunities as they present themselves. Luckily for me I'm not on a very strict schedule. Stay tuned........

No comments: