About Me

Wellington, CO
I'm a regular guy that has a weakness for collecting cars. It's not my fault that they follow me home.

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Yahoo!

Sorry for the delay between updates, had 4 nights of work in there and there is no "truck stuff" going on after working night shifts. Anyway, I borrowed a real nice long 3/8" punch from work so I figured I'd be sitting pretty. So Wednesday I got up early and got after it. Those stupid pins still wouldn't budge! So I said, I'll try a little heat maybe that will loosen things up. So I got my trusty MAPP gas torch and heated one of the spring hangers up until it had a dull red glow going, but still no movement. I called my wife at work since she's really close to Harbor Freight and asked her to pick up a few things for me. I had her get a 4 lb sledge hammer and an air hammer to try. They were each $9.99 and you can never have too many tools, right? So this morning I got up and figured I'd give the air hammer a shot with the punch bit. In less than 5 minutes I had all 4 spring pins out and the rear springs off. FINALLY! Here's a pic:



So this frame is just about finally ready for the sandblaster. Back to my frame crack I found when I first bought this frame, here's a pic if you don't remember:



I asked the experts on old Ford trucks at Ford Truck Enthusiasts http://www.ford-trucks.com about the best way to fix this. I pulled the passenger side cab mount to get a better look at the crack and make repairs easier. Here's what it looked like after I got it all cleaned up:



The plan of attack is to drill a small hole to relieve the stress on the crack, grind the crack out a little weld it all up and grind it smooth. Should be good as new after that.

Now my dilemma is whether or not to make the repair prior to sandblasting. I can probably get the frame delivered on Monday if I don't do the repairs first. Although the weather has been outstanding on my days off this week, it can't hold off forever. Probably have to move indoors very shortly.

I also have the fortunate position to be able to help out a couple of other Ford Truck fans. One in Spokane is interested in my frame and another from Grapeview, WA could use my spare front axle. I'm just glad to be able to help and not have to scrap these parts. Anything to keep more of these great old trucks on the road.

That's about it for now. Back to work for 3 days, but on my next day off (Monday) I'll either take the frame in or start repairing that crack. Either way, it's progress right?

Ron

No comments: